As the heat goes up, so does your air conditioning costs. To keep your AC expenses controlled you might be wondering, is it cheaper to leave your AC on all day in the summer in Front Royal?
It’s a common belief that turning your AC unit on and off throughout the day is a waste of energy. This is actually not true.
Keeping your AC going all day means you’re not using it very efficiently. We recommend adjusting your thermostat higher when you’re out, and turning it down when you come back. You can accomplish this with a programmable thermostat. Or, a smart thermostat will do the job for you.
It’s much more work for your system to achieve a constant temperature throughout the day. It can also lead to a lot of stress on your equipment, since it’s frequently turning on and off.
So, on top of it increasing your energy bills, it may also result in a shorter life span for your AC.
No matter what, the greater the difference between your indoor temperature and the outside temperature, the greater your energy costs will be. So, what can you do to stay cool and keep your utility bills low in the summer? Here are our suggestions based off of recommendations from the U.S Department of Energy (DOE) and ENERGY STAR®.
6 Approaches to Enhance Your Air Conditioner’s Energy Efficiency
- Modify Your Temperature. The DOE affirms that you can save up to 10% a year on heating and cooling by raising your thermostat 7-10 degrees while you’re away. During the summer months, it’s advised to set your thermostat at 78 degrees at the time you’re home and 88 degrees when you’re elsewhere. It’s equally as important to abstain from setting your thermostat to a lower setting than usual when you turn on your AC. This doesn’t actually cool your home any quicker, it just causes higher electric expenses. While these temperatures might appear high, there are additional ways to keep comfortable without having to consistently run the AC.
- Utilize Fans, Curtains and Blinds. ENERGY STAR says increasing the thermostat by just 2 degrees and using your ceiling fan can lessen AC by up to 14% during the course of the summer season. It’s important to be mindful that that fans cool people, not areas. So, when you exit the room, turn the fan off to save energy. Additionally, keeping blinds lowered and curtains closed throughout the day helps keep chilled air inside. There are also some window solutions meant to deliver extra insulation and enhance energy efficiency.
- Adequately Seal All Doors, Windows and Openings. Leaky cracks all across a residence allow for cool air to rapidly slip out and warm air to get within. This could lead to your AC having to work harder to keep your house cool and your AC expenses to rise. Make sure that any openings, doors and windows are adequately sealed. Caulking or weather-stripping are quick mends for leaks or drafts near windows and doors.
- Schedule Regular Checkups. Scheduling air conditioner maintenance assures that your unit is always performing at its most energy efficient. This permits our professionals to locate small issues before they turn into serious troubles. A maintained AC is usually more efficient and may even run for a longer period of time.
- Invest in a Smart Thermostat. One of the easiest methods to assure comfort and cost-effectiveness is with a smart thermostat. This thermostat instinctively adjusts the temperature based on your everyday schedule. It works together with your smartphone to sense when you’re home or gone to optimize your energy savings. In fact, ENERGY STAR says that a smart thermostat could possibly save you about $180 annually on heating and cooling bills.
- Consider Replacing Your Air Conditioner. You can foresee a properly maintained AC unit to last for 15-20 years. But if you’re often calling us for air conditioning repair or your utility expenses are climbing with no change in thermostat settings, it might be time for a replacement. We supply many energy-efficient air conditioners, including ENERGY STAR models that can help you save more on cooling without compromising comfort.
Increase Your House’s Energy Efficiency with Dave's Diversified Services
No one likes to see their energy bill climb during the warm months. If you’re seeking more ways to keep your energy consumption and costs lower this summer, our experts can help. Give us a call at 540-636-3396 or contact us online today for more details.