Typically, air ducts need to be cleaned every three to five years according to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association
. Dependent on a lot of factors—like your home’s location, how many pets you have, and how often your air filter has been changed, to name some—you may need to have air duct cleaning
more or less frequently. So, how can you tell for sure when it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? There are absolutely some significant signs when it’s time.
Look for these clues:
- Are your cold air returns coated with dust or pet hair?
- Is there a blockage inside your cold air return vent?
- Are your registers carrying out dust?
- When you check inside with a flashlight, can you see an accumulation of debris or pet fur?
- Have insects or rodents made a home in your ductwork?
- Can you hear clatter other than your blower motor when you listen to the airflow?
- When your vents are fully opened, do any have a smaller amount of airflow than others?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, it’s most likely time to ask Dave's Diversified Services in Front Royal about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
There are a couple things you can do to help keep your ducts cleaner and lengthen the timeline between specialized cleanings.
Mostly importantly, setup annual HVAC maintenance with the specialists at Dave's Diversified Services. A tune-up of your furnace each fall and your AC each spring, which should comprise of inspection, and possible replacement, of your air filter, will help keep your HVAC system running well, and will help keep your ducts clean.
You can also chat with the team at Dave's Diversified Services about installing an air purification system. We offer the Lennox PureAir Air Purification System, Healthy Climate Carbon Clean 16 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate 11 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) Filtration System and Healthy Climate UV Germicidal Lights.
Other measures you can take include:
- Consistently dusting and vacuuming your home.
- Inspecting your air filters regularly and replacing them when the manufacturer recommends replacing them. Most filters will display dust on them after a short time in service, but they may not require changing.
- Sealing leaks in air ducts that allow dust to enter from areas like your attic.
- Trading poor or damaged air-duct insulation.
With a professional air duct cleaning and some proactive measures, you can help keep the air in your Front Royal home clean and healthy. Give the professionals at Dave's Diversified Services a call at 540-636-3396.