While winter weather seems like it’s already been here for much too long, its impact on our heating bill is just starting. Maintaining low energy costs during the coldest months of the year can be a challenge, but that doesn’t mean you can’t take steps to help lower those costs. That’s why we’ve developed a few furnace tips to help stave off high heating bills.
To start controlling your heating bills and boosting your energy efficiency this winter, consider:
- Keeping your blinds open during the warmest parts of the day to allow sunlight in, helping warm your home naturally.
- Sealing leaks around your home’s windows and doors with caulk or weather stripping.
- Installing a programmable thermostat so that you can better control the temperature in your home, which will also improve energy efficiency.
- Cleaning or replacing your furnace filter regularly.
- Making sure your home’s heating vents are open and aren’t blocked by any obstructions
- Replacing your old furnace with a newer, more efficient model if your furnace has been around for more than 15 years.
- Installing insulation to your attic to keep the heat trapped inside.
- Checking your roof to make sure your shingles are intact, and that there aren’t holes or cracks that will need to be sealed.
Attempting to keep your energy bills to a minimum and energy efficiency at a maximum, is a year-round practice, one that can seem overwhelming at times. However, that doesn’t mean that you can’t do a few small things to make sure you’re keeping your bills as low as possible. If you have any questions related to the tips above or questions about how you can lower your heating bills, give us a call at 540-636-3396. Our experts are here to help make sure your home is comfortable all year long, even with the crazy Front Royal weather.