Whenever your gas furnace is on, carbon monoxide is being formed. However, there is no cause for worry. It is a natural by-product of the fuel-burning process. As long as your furnace is working properly, it is harmlessly deposited outside your home. Carbon monoxide is contained inside your furnace’s heat exchanger until it is safely forced through the flue vent to the outside. Carbon monoxide poisoning is a result of a malfunctioning gas furnace.
Taking in too much carbon monoxide stops the body from using oxygen and can damage the central nervous system and heart. While carbon monoxide poisoning can affect anyone exposed to the gas, it is especially risky for people with existing lung or heart diseases, pregnant woman, infants and children. Here are some tips to ease your mine mind and preserve a healthy, comfortable and safe home.
1. Invest in carbon monoxide detectors. Carbon monoxide is a colorless and odorless gas that can’t be detected by humans. Without a detector, it’s practically impossible to know carbon monoxide is accumulating in your home. You may be unaware until someone starts showing symptoms of poisoning. Introduce carbon monoxide detectors on every floor of your home, ideally near bedrooms, to be alerted to rising levels before anyone gets sick.
2. Be sure your gas furnace was installed properly. If your gas furnace wasn’t installed by specialists, you should have it checked. The experts at Dave's Diversified Services can make sure your blower motor is installed accurately and that everything looks correct in your ductwork design. Carbon monoxide can collect if there are problems in those territories.
3. Schedule annual maintenance. Annual maintenance is the best action to take to prevent carbon monoxide leaks from your gas furnace. During a yearly tune-up, our professionals will clean your system and inspect it for malfunctions or problems. It’s also a decent idea to have any other gas-, coal- or oil-burning appliances professionally monitored as well.
4. Keep your air filter clean. A blockage of airflow caused by a dirty filter can cause carbon monoxide to bleed out from your system. Set a reminder on your phone or mark your calendar to frequently check your air filter and clean or change it per the manufacturer’s specifications.
5. Always depend on professionals to service your gas furnace and other fuel-burning appliances.
Carbon monoxide can be extremely hazardous, but you can have peace of mind by taking a few safeguards. You’ll always have the experts at Dave's Diversified Services in Front Royal just around the corner to help, too. Give us a call at 540-369-3971 if you have questions or concerns about carbon monoxide or your gas furnace. You can also schedule an appointment using our online scheduler.