Anyone who’s ever had to wait for a delivery to arrive understands it can be a frustrating experience. The wait is even more annoying when it’s a central piece of HVAC equipment like a new furnace or air conditioner. With backlogs and supply shortages, some people are waiting weeks for their new HVAC system to be installed. If you’re considering upgrading your current system with a service like furnace installation in Front Royal, it may be a good idea to order sooner rather than later.
Current shortages are a result of several problems throughout the supply chain. We’ll review how these issues have affected the HVAC industry as well as what you can do to avoid the impact.
Why Is There an HVAC Product Shortage?
Common HVAC systems like furnaces and air conditioners are complex pieces of technology. Usually this is better for homeowners, as this means more efficient heating and cooling. But recent turmoil in the supply chain impacts how quickly these systems can be produced and shipped. There are a few reasons why your new air conditioner or furnace is delayed, such as:
- COVID-19 Precautions: As people continue to navigate COVID-19, taking sick days and other safety precautions have somewhat contributed to the backlog. A few extra days here and there adds up over time.
- Supply Chain Issues: Global supply chains are fine-tuned for optimal efficiency and may take a while to correct themselves when consumer demands or the availability of materials shift. While companies find alternatives to help catch up, existing backlogs have made steady, if slow progress.
- Rise in Costs of Raw Materials: Metals including steel and copper are crucial for modern HVAC equipment. Valuable materials also include plastics and even finished electronics like microchips and semiconductors. These two components are particularly scarce.
- Worker Shortage: As industries start back up, they’re also facing a shortage of workers in comparison to the spike in demand. Professional HVAC technicians also take time to train to make sure they provide dependable, efficient services.
As you can imagine, all these concerns have slowed down the gears of the HVAC industry. As equipment takes longer to arrive, people may have to wait longer for services like air conditioning installation. Thankfully, you still have options for minimizing delays.
4 Ways to Minimize the Impact of HVAC Product Shortages
Are you actively searching for new HVAC equipment? Or do you just want to avoid being stuck without heat or air conditioning? Whatever your reasons are, there are things you can do to minimize how the HVAC product shortage impacts you.
- Stay on top of routine maintenance: Services including routine air conditioning maintenance are one of the best investments you can make in your HVAC system. Components stay in better shape, which means more efficient performance and a lower risk of problems.
- Watch for signs of equipment failure: A surprise shutdown could leave you stuck waiting for a replacement. Listen for strange sounds and keep an eye on your energy bill for evidence your HVAC system is in trouble.
- Order in advance: If you were waiting to order a new furnace or air conditioner, it may be a good idea to go ahead and make the order. Even with existing supply chain issues, you’ll be more likely to receive your new equipment when you actually need it.
- Consider alternative equipment: If a current make or model is experiencing a shortage, considering alternatives can open up more options. Thanks to modern technology, there are more choices for high-efficiency HVAC systems than before.
Request a Free Quote for New HVAC Systems
The HVAC pros at Dave's Diversified Services want to help lower your wait times for a new furnace or air conditioner. If you’re thinking about new or replacement installation, it’s a good idea to get started soon. Request your free estimate today by giving us a call at 540-369-3971.